Grouping with Data Entities

I am really loving the data entity in my new projects but have come across a couple of issues already. Tonight I learned about using a field that is not a part of your database and not in the entity but is a consolidation field from a group.  Once I found some good samples it worked incredibly well and I had a little summary grid on the page in just a couple of minutes.  So here is what I did

 using (myEntityName context = new myEntityName())

    {
//First I declared a couple of variables because I was looking at data between specific dates
         DateTime startdate = DateTime.Parse("2014-02-01");
            DateTime enddate = DateTime.Parse("2014-02-01");
         var dbRecords = (from c in context.myTableName
                          where (c.MemberStartDate >= startdate && c.MemberStartDate <= enddate)
                          group c by c.Concept into g
  //So you notice I used a g for the group by set of data
//The g.key part threw me for a second but then I realized it equates to the field you are grouping by
                        select new
                                     {
                                         Concept = g.Key,
                                       New_Customers_Count= g.Count()
                                     }).ToList();
     
        WebDataCustCount.DataSource = dbRecords;
        WebDataCustCount.DataBind();

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linq Exclude from separate list

Sorting Ascending and Descending

Linq Query Syntax vs Method Syntax